Most of us have been ill. We’ve all done things to ‘fix’ our illness, even if it’s just the common cold. Most of use have been to a doctor or specialist, had tests, and been prescribed medications or therapies.
Unfortunately, this also happens when you are traveling, on holiday or for work. In the worst case, you’ll need to attend a hospital and have to communicate with nurses and doctors in your target language.
It’s a good idea to be prepared to talk about it!
Talking about a recent illness
These work either as writing prompts or conversation prompts for pairs or small groups.
Think of a recent illness you had. Explain your illness and your treatment in your target language. Try to be as detailed as possible.
- What were your symptoms?
- Which doctors did you see? Were you referred to a specialist?
- Did you have any tests? What were the results?
- What medication or therapy were you prescribed?
- Did you have any allergies that changed the treatment?
- Did you also try any ‘home remedies’, like homemade chicken soup for the flu?
- How long did it take you to recover?
- What tips would you give someone with the same illness?
Hopefully you won’t need to make use of your language skills in this area – I wish you good health and safe travels!
Categories | PROMPTS
Tags | language learning, teaching
23 Apr 2015